Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Three Moods of Lake Pepin


I felt good about the fact that I balanced kayaking and painting. Here are the three paintings that I completed during a beautiful fall weekend in October with Inland Sea Kayakers at Hok-Se-La campground in Red Wing.

The one on the top is early morning. The above was done in 20 minutes after dinner in rapidly fading light. I like the raw authenticity of it. Plan to do some winter night scenes with this method.

The one above was more successful before I took it home and decided to push the color. I find that my best sketches are on location without "studio work." Who needs a studio when you have the whole outdoors to play in!

2 comments:

  1. Stunningly beautiful Sharell...

    These paintings remind me of the paintings I saw once that were created in the mid 1800s. Unpoiled beauty still there to cast your eyes upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gae,

    Thank you for your kind words and, yes!, you are right about the 19th century artists, they are my fave. I am currently studying George Bellows (NY Ashcan artist) and Abraham Bogdanove (regional Maine artist). Now that the lakes are frozen there will be lots more paintings to come! thanks for checking out my blog.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    ZFI

    ReplyDelete