Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Finding Puffins


Say the word "Puf' fin" out loud. Now say it again with more enthusiasm-PUFF-F inn-n. And visuals of Julie Andrews twirling on a mountain top come to mind...These puffin water birds defy both gravity and sentimentality. They are wise and the entertainers of the bird world. I spent an enjoyable Saturday morning painting their habitat at Como Zoo and little glimpses of them too.

At least I remember that it was overall enjoyable. Remember how I was lamenting in the last post about how human models suffer nerve damage by standing in awkward positions for extended periods of time for art? Well, I forgot to mention just how wacky plein-aire painters are: I was kneeling for 2-1/2 hours on cement with a cushion of fleece jacket under my knees and still called it great fun. The split view I painted of the exhibit tank required that I be lower than the birds. Other painters would never admit to these bouts of insanity for art. These are our secrets....

Please note instructor extraordinaire, Richard Abraham, in "Followers" section. Visit his painting a day to see how its really done.

No comments:

Post a Comment