Sunday, February 14, 2010

Extreme Safety Precautions

What do safety glasses and hard hats have to do with this painting? They are loosely connected if you hear me out on this thing. One November Saturday I came down the Bruce Vento Nature Sancutary path to find 4 mini-vans parked in a circle and about 20 ardent people dressed in fluorescent orange vests, safety glasses, hard hats and rubber gloves. They were moving through this grassy area in the painting and stroking the grasses with their gloved hands. My curiosity was piqued and I found the only friendly person in the group to ask what they were doing. "Collecting seed," was her curt answer. Then I asked about the gear and she retorted, "For safety purposes [idiot]." With that I backed away and left for a quiet corner of the sanctuary. So when you look at the painting above, you see a mono-culture of little blue stem (Minnesota Native Plant) in a flat perspective, and when I look at it, I am amused by the Seed Gatherer sighting (a paid position, I might add). It appeared to be a covert government operation and native seed gathering is one covert operation I could get behind.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Night Writer, Glad you are paying attention. ZFI. (Will update this bad photo. This blog actually started so I could learn how to photograph the paintings. Some turn out OK and others...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story. I wonder if they were protecting themselves from each others' judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Thank you for your perspective, my dear Frenchi!

    ReplyDelete